GoFishSC 850 photo GoFishscBanner_850_zps1abafdef.jpg
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charleston Jetties Underwater Report - What's in the rocks - December

Lightbulb Charleston Jetties Underwater Report - What's in the rocks - December

I went freediving at the jetties a couple weeks ago with 2 friends to look for some sheepshead and see what was going on in the rocks. A good friend said that they were not there as thick as he'd seen in the past. They were still there though ranging from about 2 to 6 pounds. Once we found decent visibility the variety of growth on the rocks surprised me. Starting from a sand bottom or scarce live bottom at the base of the rocks, the rocks pile up quite vertically. In most places a cast 10 feet from the middle of the rockpile will put you at the base in the sand bottom (I am now less concerned about snags out there). Sheepshead were either slowly cruising around the rocks or sand close to the jetty or hiding in the crevices between the rocks. Sea urchins were abundant along with yellow, purple and white growths on the rocks occurring in patches. Some patches of mussels were growing on the rocks, but I saw no oysters where I was diving. We didn't see any other fish besides sheepshead. We dove near the bend at the South jetty and also on the North jetty near a shallow cut through. Dolphins and birds were working out in the deeper water well off the rocks on the North Side. I hope this helps in some way.
    Capt. Mike Illig
    Avid Angling Fishing Charters
    Charleston, SC
    www.AvidAngling.com

Thumbs up

Thanks, i always wondered what it looked like, surprized u could see so well, what tide did u dive-slack tide I'm sure the current would rip thru there if not I would think, is the channel about 70ft? Did u check out the non channel side? That's the only reason I would like a underwater camera to see what's what. I think i fish too many areas not holding or supporting fish life. But that's fishing I guess. I fish many different areas and not repeatedly. still haven't "dialed"in inshore fishing in charleston, fished many times out of Folly river with poor results, love to drive the marshes tho. Have heard some good things about the jetties.

Default Charleston Jetties

We were out there on a high tide and had to do a little searching around for decent visibility. I don't think an underwater camera would have done much that day. There were times though where vis reached about 10 feet or so. Keep at it! You will start to figure out what works. Feel free to call me at 843 566 3433 with any questions or check out the "Journal" section of my personal website for some fishing tips to get you started.

Take Care,
    Last edited by AvidAngling; 07-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Capt. Mike Illig
    Avid Angling Fishing Charters
    Charleston, SC
    www.AvidAngling.com

+ Reply to Thread